A prank call at a Banks Crossing hotel at 4 a.m. on Tuesday led to an evacuation.
Someone apparently called one of the guest rooms at the Best Western and told the person who answered the phone to turn on the sprinklers because of a gas leak. This turned out to be a prank call and led to the room being damaged and the hotel being evacuated.
The Banks County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and Sheriff Charles Chapman reports that criminal felony charges will be filed if the offenders are caught. The hotel is open for business now.
The Banks County 911 center received a call from an employee of the hotel who reported that the sprinkler systems were going off in one room. The 911 operator asked if there was a fire and if they were able to evacuate. The employee reportedly said that the supervisor had checked and there was not a fire. The 911 operator reported that fire service personnel would be sent to make sure that everything was O.K.